Scholarship - Financial Aid Information
**Additional information about financial aid/scholarships/military. New websites have been added-see attachments below!
Financial aid for higher education generally falls into four categories:
A. Scholarships - gift awards based on achievement or high potential in academics, athletics, the arts, or other factors that do not consider financial need;
B. Grants - gift awards that are based primarily on student/family financial need;
C. Loans - money loaned at a relatively low interest rate (often subsidized) that requires repayment;
D. Work-study/Employment - payments to students for work they perform (generally on-campus) for a specific time and for specific wages.
Local Scholarships - the Guidance Office advertises the availability of many scholarships.
Students can click on Scholarship List on the Guidance website or come in to the Guidance office to check on these scholarships. Applications for many of these scholarships also are available in the Guidance Office. Students should also check the availability of grants and awards associated with parents' employers, their church affiliations, organization memberships, etc.
PHEAA/Federal Programs - the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the single form used to apply for both federal and state financial aid. Online completion of the "FAFSA on the Web" ( http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
) is highly recommended. The Guidance Office also stocks the FAFSA Worksheet and maintains a small supply of paper FAFSA forms for families who cannot, or do not wish to, file the FAFSA online. The FAFSA legally may not be filed until January 1 of the senior year.USEFUL LINKShttp://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- FAFSA - Free Application For Federal Student Aid website, contains links application deadlines, application worksheets, and a link to fill out the application onlinehttp://www.pheaa.org/
- PHEAA - The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency website - information on planning for college, state grants, special programs, loan forgiveness, and work study programshttp://fastweb.com/
- FASTWEB - Scholarhslarge listingof local scholarships, national scholarships and college-specific scholarshipshttp://www.pennsylvaniamentor.org/finaid/
- Pennsylvania Mentor - description of different types of financial aid, student loans, and a scholarship searchhttp://www.schoolsoup.com/scholarship-directory
- SchoolSoup - large scholarship databasehttp://www.big33.org/
- Big 33 Scholarship informationhttp://www.fafsa4caster.ed.gov/
- receive an early estimate of eligibility for federal student aid(FAFSA)http://www.scholarships.com/
- free scholarship search database, listings of scholarship opportunities customized for every studenthttp://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/index.jsp
- Financial Aidhttp://www.adventuresineducation.org/HighSchool/index.cfm
- links to a valuable financial aid calendar, also information about exploring careers, planning for college, scholarships, etc.http://www.collegeanswer.com/paying/content/index.jsp
- View detailed information on education savings plans, school costs, scholarships, and the student financial aid process