The Red Lion Area High School’s Lion’s Den Preschool Program has been operating as a part of the Red Lion Area High School Family and Consumer Science Department since 1987. The purpose of the program is to train junior and senior students in the care of young children through a preschool environment to observe typical characteristics of children between the ages of 3 and 5.
Students in the program are juniors and seniors who have successfully completed the basic child development class and wish to further their understanding of young children. These “teachers” undergo training in a preschooler’s development and behavior and also are trained in child and infant CPR.
Daily Time Schedule
The operating times for the preschool are dependent upon when the classes run during the 7-period school schedules.
The schedules will run from 9:30 - 11:30 on RLASD cycle days #1,2,4,and 5. Parents will be informed of the specific days in the monthly newsletter.
Preschool operates during the fall semester from the middle of October through the first week of January; and in the spring semester from mid March through the end of May.
Each day the preschoolers participate in a mini lesson, snack, song, craft, game and story planned by the student teachers. The activities planned revolve around a different theme each week.
If the Red Lion Area School District calls a weather related delay, the preschool will operate as follows:
Red Lion School District Cancellation:
The Preschool will be closed for the day.
One Hour Delay:
10:15 - 11:45
Two Hour Delay:
11:00 - 12:15 PM
Parent Drop Off and Pick Up Policy
- Transportation must be provided by a parent or a person authorized by the parent.
- Children attending the preschool can arrive 5 – 10 minutes before the start of the session and wait in the hallway outside C107.
- Parking is available at the side of the building by the track. Please park so as to let traffic pass if needed. The gate will be opened approximately 10 minutes before the start of the session.
- If at any time there are changes to who will be picking up your child, please notify Mrs. Dellinger of the change that day.
- When picking up your child, it is important that you be on time. The student teachers leave for their next class immediately following preschool.
- When picking up your child, please remain in the hallway outside the room until preschool is over. Please keep the noise level down as there are other classes in progress in the hallway.
- In the event of weather related delays or cancellations, listen to the local radio stations or TV stations. Please refer to the Delay Schedules on the Preschool Parent Information page.
The Lion’s Den Preschool Enrollment Policy
The Lion’s Den Preschool is a mixed age level class for children ages 3, 4, and 5 years old. The different age levels provide the opportunity for the student teachers in the class to observe the differences in children’s development studied in the Day Care course.
Children must be approximately three years old and toilet trained to be enrolled in the preschool program. Children who are 5 years old and who have missed the cut-off date for kindergarten are also permitted to participate.
Register early! Openings for preschool usually fill up quickly. If you wish to be placed on the waiting list, please note it on the registration form. A new application form must be completed for each year! Registrations are taken on a first come, first served basis.
When registration forms are received, the information is dated and entered onto a master list. Openings for each year are filled from those registrations received in order first. Parents will receive a confirmation letter of placement in May for the following year.
Enrollment for the 2014 - 2015 year is full!
***Applications for the session beginning Fall, 2016 may be submitted after January 1, 2016.